Day of Livestream with Union's Broadcaster App
Step 1: Prepare your Streaming Device
Check out our Teacher Tips for Great Mobile Livestreams for the complete checklist.
Here are a few key practices...
In your device settings; activate Do Not Disturb mode
- Silence: Always
- Phone: Allow calls from No One
- Repeated Calls: Off
Check your display & brightness settings
Keep your phone from turning off or going dark while you're streaming
Connect your wireless earbuds.
Put in your your wireless earbuds such as AirPods and Galaxy Buds (or any other bluetooth headphones paired with your phone) and make sure you are connected to your streaming device only. *Pro-tip: Best practice is to put in your bluetooth headphones BEFORE streaming.
Open Union's Broadcaster App
Run a quick speed test (while in app) by clicking Setup > Settings > Speed Test.
Mount your phone on a tripod in landscape view
In most cases, the back camera (the non-selfie mode) is higher quality than your front camera.
Plug in a power source
Using the camera can use a lot of power, so make sure that your phone won't run out of battery.
Step 2: Sign In to Union
Click on DASHBOARD
You should see a few of your upcoming classes.
15 minutes before your class begins, the Check-In button will change to a "View Stream" button.
Continue to follow along once you see the View Stream button appear (you may have to manually refresh your Union dashboard).
Once you see the View Stream button. Click "Start" on your streaming device (e.g. iPhone).
Back on your Union dashboard, after ~10 seconds, you should see camera status change from "camera inactive"
To "camera active" with a red circle. Congrats, it's working! Note that there is up to a 30 second delay.
Now click on View Stream
View Stream will always appear 15 min before class starts. When clicked, this opens the Union Streamboard. You can check your audio/video feed before and during class, see students file in to your virtual classroom, and monitor the chat room for questions.
Once your space is set (and if you would like to ‘step away’ before class)
STOP recording in the Broadcaster app by clicking the grey circle. Take your ear buds OUT and put back into its container. Once you come back, put your ear buds in FIRST, open Broadcaster, then click record.
If you choose to leave your camera active, please know your students can start joining the class 5 minutes before. Use the live chat to give some shout outs to your students!
At the end of class
We recommend saying "thank you" and/or "goodbye". Then, step out of camera's view, and once again click the grey button on the phone to stop recording. Lastly, close the Union Broadcaster app.
- Make sure your HD settings are correct in Union's Broadcaster app (either 1020x720 or 1920x1080 depending on your upload speed)
- Make sure the device you are streaming from is on do not disturb (this is not just airplane mode or silent notification, please be certain to check your do no disturb settings)
- Check Auto Lock device settings (keep your phone from turning off or going dark)
- Make sure everything is charged for your classes if not charging while the class is live (phone, laptop, tablet, earphones, etc). We recommend keeping your streaming device plugged into a charging station while you're streaming.
- It is recommended that you disable bluetooth from any surrounding devices to ensure your airpods are only connected to your streaming device (i.e. phone).
- If you have tech issues before class please reach out and click the "chat" icon to connect with Union Support team