Day of Livestream with Larix Broadcaster
Step 1: Speed Test
Test your internet connection from your streaming device (e.g. mobile phone) using our speedtest instructions. Union recommends that you have 10Mbps UPLOAD speed or your livestream may be choppy, disconnect, and generally be frustrating for participants.
If your upload speed is under 10Mbp, we recommend that you decrease your resolution to 1280x720 in the Larix app under the video settings.
Step 2: Prepare your Streaming Device
Check out our Teacher Tips for Great Mobile Livestreams for the complete checklist. Here are a few key practices...
In your device settings; activate Do Not Disturb mode
- Silence: Always
- Phone: Allow calls from No One
- Repeated Calls: Off
Check your display & brightness settings
Keep your phone from turning off or going dark while you're streaming
Connect your wireless earbuds or connect your wireless mic
Put in your your wireless earbuds such as AirPods and Galaxy Buds (or any other bluetooth headphones paired with your phone) and make sure you are connected to your streaming device only. To ensure optimal audio, please be sure to put your earbuds in BEFORE you begin streaming. As a reminder, we suggest following this path:
- Open earbuds case
- Put earbuds in your ears
- Close the case
- Start your stream
If troubleshooting is needed please visit, Troubleshooting your Bluetooth Earbuds.
Make sure you have your adapters connected and your phone is charging.
Mount your phone on a tripod in landscape view
In most cases, the back camera (the non-selfie mode) is higher quality than your front camera.
Plug in a power source
Using the camera can use a lot of power, so make sure that your phone won't run out of battery.
Step 3: Sign In to Union
Click on DASHBOARD. You should see a few of your upcoming classes.
15 minutes before your class begins, the Check-In button will change to a "View Stream" button.
Continue to follow along once you see the View Stream button appear (you may have to manually refresh your Union dashboard).
Once you see the View Stream button. Open Larix on your phone and click the record button.
Back on your Union dashboard, after ~15 seconds, you should see camera status change from "camera inactive"
To "camera active" with a red circle. Congrats, it's working! Note that there is up to a 30 second delay. Now click on View Stream
View Stream will always appear 15 min before class starts. When clicked, this opens the Union Streamboard. You can check your audio/video feed before and during class, see students file in to your virtual classroom, and monitor the chat room for questions.
Be sure to MUTE your feed to prevent feedback. Hover over the video block and click the speaker button to mute.
Once your space is set you can leave your stream going. Your students will be able to join the class (by default) 5 minutes before the class is ready to begin. Use the live chat to give some shout outs to your students!
If you need to step away before your class (i.e. use the restroom), please follow these steps:
- STOP recording in the Larix app by clicking the red or white circle.
- Take your ear buds OUT and put back into its container and close the container.
- Once you come back, put your ear buds in FIRST, then open Larix, then click record.
At the end of class
We recommend saying "thank you" and/or "goodbye". Then, step out of camera's view, and once again click the red button on the phone to stop recording. Lastly, close the Larix app.
NOTE: By default, the livestream will end for your users 60 mins after the scheduled class time unless you have another class booked after. If you go over 60 mins, your customers will no longer see your stream but the class will continue to record until you end your livestream. Please see Livestream End Time for more details.
- Once your device settings are set follow this path:
- Take your bluetooth mic (i.e. airpods) out of their case and into your ears
- Open up Broadcaster
- Start streaming
- If you need to take your bluetooth headset off at any time, put them back into their case (and close it), stop the stream. When you come back, follow the steps above. Please visit Troubleshooting your Bluetooth Earbuds if additional assistance is needed.
- Make sure your HD Video settings are correct in Larix (either 1020x720 or 1920x1080 depending on your upload speed)
- Make sure the device you are streaming from is on do not disturb (this is not just airplane mode or silent notification, please be certain to check your do no disturb settings)
- Check Auto-Lock device settings (keep your phone from turning off or going dark)
- Make sure everything is charged for your classes if not charging while the class is live (phone, laptop, tablet, earphones, etc). We recommend keeping your streaming device plugged into a charging station while you're streaming.
- It is recommended that you disable bluetooth from any surrounding devices to ensure your airpods are only connected to your streaming device (i.e. phone).
- If you have tech issues before class please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to let us know what gear you are using (i.e. iPhone and AirPods, what app you're using to stream, and what class you're trying to stream! Any direct URLS you can provide or screenshots are helpful!