Payroll Rules (How You Pay Teachers)
Welcome to Union's Payroll Rules! We've divided them into two main categories: Performances (live content) and Replays (video library content). To ensure smooth processing, create a payroll rule for each Payroll Category you've established. For comprehensive guidance on configuring your payroll, refer to our video tutorial and accompanying help desk article.
Per Performance (In-Person or Hybrid):
- Establish a base rate for each class or session, regardless of whether it's conducted in-person or online.
Per Performance (Online Only):
- Set a base rate if you pay your teachers differently for online-only classes.
Please, be sure to set a price for both, even if the value is the same!
Per Performance Registration (In-Person):
- Determine the rate based on the number of registered students for an in-person performance.
By default, this is calculated based on registrations. To pay out based on redeemed registrations only, adjust this in your Settings > Payroll.
Set Registration Rates by Count:
- Reward your teachers with a bonus for each class that reaches a certain registration threshold. Define different ranges for bonus values.
- For example, if you pay teachers an extra $1 for every registration after 10, set a $1 value for the range of 11-15 registrations!
Per Performance Registration (Online):
- Set the rate based on the number of registered students for a virtual performance. Similar to in-person, adjust settings if you prefer to pay based on redeemed registrations.
Percentage of Performance Revenue:
- Specify a percentage for teachers based on specific settled revenue generated from each performance.
- Please note that this revenue share works differently for one-time passes and class packs (one-time passes and class packs payout within the same pay period) than it does for subscriptions. If a teacher leads a performance, and all (or a portion of) attendees are under a subscription plan, the teacher's share of revenue will be withheld until the subscription renewal period for the students has passed.
Example: A student has a $100 unlimited monthly subscription which he purchased on 9/2/2023. As of 9/15/2023 he has watched three replays and gone to two live classes. Due to revenue being fully dependent upon the amount of registrations a student redeems within their billing cycle, it cannot be paid out until post the student's renewal date of 10/2/2023. This is because the student could redeem another 7+ registrations between 9/15/2023 and 10/2/2023, decreasing the total revenue, and creating an inaccurate payout.
Directly below your new Performance rules, you can establish rules for paying teachers for their replays.
Per Replay Registration:
- Determine the rate based on the number of registered students for a replay. Similar to performance rules, adjust settings if you prefer to pay based on Redeemed registrations.
Per Replay Estimated Delivered Minute:
- Set a specific rate (e.g., $0.003) per minute watched for each replay.
Percentage of Replay Revenue:
- Allocate a percentage of specific settled revenue generated from each replay.
Revenue % after Profit
Percentage of Revenue after Profit:
- This option allows you to pay out a percentage of the combined performance and replay settled revenue (within the payroll period) after deducting a teacher's base payout (e.g., performance).
- Note: This percentage is applied to the combined settled revenue, ignoring performance or replay-specific revenue shares set above the Percentage of Revenue on Profit.
Settled Revenue Cap per Period:
- Set a cap on settled revenue per payroll period to account for exceptional circumstances, ensuring teachers aren't credited excessively for unusual situations.
- Example: If the Settled Revenue Cap per Period is $200 and a teacher receives $1200 in settled revenue within a specific payroll period, the Percentage of Revenue after Profit will be applied to $200, not $1200.
All settled revenue and percentage of revenue amounts represent gross revenue before Stripe and Union fees.
For additional assistance or specific questions, please don't hesitate to contact our support team. We're here to help you manage your payroll effectively!